Monday, July 5, 2010

New Chalkboard Made From An Antique Window

I finally finished making my new chalkboard out of the antique window from our basement (the inspiration is in this previous post).

So once we got the window out of the basement, it was time to break the glass out. Since this can be dangerous I wore my trusty Liberty of London gardening gloves and safety glasses.
Alex ended up helping me break a couple of the panes because I was a little afraid and not using enough force.
Then after carefully picking up the broken glass, I ended up with just the frame.
I painted the frame white, left the edges a little rough to give it a shabby look. We picked up some light wood boards from Home Depot and painted them with 3 coats of chalkboard spray paint. (I didn't get photos of those parts, boo!). Alex attached the board to the frame with some small nails, then we mounted it in the kitchen nook!

So here is the nook now with the chalkboard. The nook still isn't done yet, but I am so happy with the chalkboard! Turned out perfect and I love that it is an original piece of our house that we can use!

***UPDATE: The nook is even better now with our antique ladder and refinished table!***

Here are a few more updated pics!
One for my 'Nomi Homies' :)

The Lettered Cottage

5 comments:

  1. What a great re purposing of a vintage find from the house. Love what you've done with it.
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have some old antique windows from a neighbors house (they were just going to toss them out when they had new ones put in!)

    Maybe I should turn one into a chalkboard?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chalkboard but most of all I love that nook! What a great place! I love the color too! Great job!
    Susan @ homeroad.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cute--I LOVE CVhalkboard paint.

    Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!
    So many ways to use chalkboard paint!!!!
    Im your newest follower (purehunnybee)
    Happy weekend!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?