Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gather 'Round Our Fall Fireplace Mantel

I just finished up doing a little fall themed decorating on our fireplace mantel.   It feels nice to have that cozy fall feeling in our house! So, what do you think?
 I think it is simple and turned out pretty nice.  I also didn't really have to buy much to decorate it (which was a bonus)!  I used the antlers and Z stencil I picked up at Junk Bonanza and then picked up a couple items on the cheap at Goodwill.  Other than that, I used a lot of what we had in the basement and made a couple things myself!
Here's a few closer looks at the decor... 

At the base of the fireplace, I put some of our birch firewood in a wicker basket and then added some faux fall colored leaves.

On the other side I have some more of the colorful faux leaves with a real pumpkin and a Smith and Hawken pumpkin I got from Target last year.  I am thinking the number of pumpkins will soon multiply though as we get closer to Halloween.

Up top, I have a candle holder I got at Goodwill for only $5.00!  It fits perfectly under our TV which is nice because that always seems to be a challenge when I am decorating the mantel.  I made the "Gather" banner with old book pages and a stencil, it was really simple!

On the left side I have two more little DIY projects- the framed leaf and the torn and stacked old books wrapped in twine.  Both projects were super simple and low cost! I had all the materials at home for the framed leaf and I spent $1.49 for 10 books at Goodwill in their bargain bin (knowing I was going to tear them up anyway). Other than that, I have a candle in a vintage light bulb holder and I got to use my antlers!!! Yes!

On the right I have another stack of torn books wrapped in twine along with my Z stencil, antlers, my A bookend and a candle wrapped with some twine.

Here's one last look.

I hope you enjoyed a peek at our mantel!  I think I might write up a quick post on those little projects I completed for the mantel, they were pretty easy and hardly cost any money!  So I think I have to share!

Well, I'm off to Layla's Linky Party at the Lettered Cottage now. I think I am already late to the party, but I can't miss it!  You should stop by too!
The Lettered Cottage

6 comments:

  1. So cute! I feel that twine makes EVERYTHING cuter :) And the A-Z is adorable! Visiting from Kevin and Layla's!

    www.chrissyandnathan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Looks so warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah! Gorgeous, Carla! I love your 'gather' sign. I love the idea of all gathering around an open fire. SO warm and cosy!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Fall is totally in the air in MN. Katrina's been collecting pumpkins and getting out the fall stuff. I think we'll join the same linky party :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty, pretty! :) I adore your mantle - where did you purchase it, or did you make it? Haven't read that far back through the archives, yet. (I'm local.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin, we made our mantle, DIY style :) I actually wanted to update the post I wrote last year so it was more thorough, but here is a link to that old (sort of amature and crappy) post: http://hammersandhighheels.blogspot.com/2010/06/living-room-building-fireplace-mantel.html

    Someone else pointed out that we don't cover the cords, cable box, etc. so I want to rewrite the post and make it new! Hopefully soon, but thanks for encouraging the idea :)

    So you are local? Blog as well? I will check if you have a link in your Google profile!

    ~Carla @Hammers and High Heels

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?